The litigation team at Stumphauzer Foslid Sloman Ross & Kolaya works throughout Florida, around the county, and internationally to resolve complex business disputes for our clients.
Complex Commercial and Business Litigation
The litigation team at Stumphauzer Foslid Sloman Ross & Kolaya works throughout Florida, around the county, and internationally to resolve complex business disputes for our clients. We routinely bring and defend lawsuits, advocating for clients in a variety of forums, including in state and federal courts around the United States as well as in arbitration, mediation, and quasi-judicial forums.
Our areas of expertise
From corporate and securities disputes to unfair trade practices, our litigators understand the impact of a complex dispute on a company and take a business-minded approach tailored to achieve the best and most efficient result for our client. We often pursue and defend disputes involving:
- Antitrust and Unfair Competition
- Regulatory disputes
- Construction, Real Estate & Land Use
- Consumer Protection
- Intellectual Property
- Civil rights
- Political Law
- Trade Secrets
- Breaches of contract
- Deceptive trade practices
When resolving a complex commercial or business dispute, we work closely with our clients to understand the way your business operates and develop a customized strategy for your case. Our clients represent a cross section of industries with different needs and regulatory pressures, including:
- Financial Services
- Real Estate
- Entertainment and Media
- Advertising and Marketing
- Food, Beverage, and Hospitality
- Product Manufacturing and Distribution
- Pharmaceuticals and Life Sciences
Trial lawyers who take a customized approach to your business and legal issues
The attorneys at Stumphauzer Foslid Sloman Ross & Kolaya are experienced trial lawyers who know how to break down complex and technical cases to persuade a judge or jury. Whether a case is in its early stages or on the eve of trial, our proven record of trial experience is critical. Our litigators see the broad picture, for both lawsuits and for companies, and find creative solutions and strategies. In some cases, the best result is achieved outside of court. Our litigators resolve many cases outside of court and have favorably resolved numerous cases through presenting effective, persuasive presentations at mediation proceedings and in other settlement contexts.
In the age of technology, properly handling a complex business suit often requires expertise with mass data collection and large volumes of electronic discovery. The complexity and expense of this aspect of a case requires a lawyer who knows the right approach to these issues. Our litigators have handled many cases that required the sorting and handling of millions of documents, and are skilled in innovative techniques to manage large volumes of data in a cost-efficient manner customized to our clients’ needs. We understand the competing needs of operating a business while achieving a successful result in a lawsuit and use our e-discovery expertise to your advantage.
- Obtained permanent injunction against investors seeking to pursue $100 million FINRA arbitration against broker‑dealer, affirmed by the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Pictet Overseas Inc. v. Helvetia Trust, 905 F.3d 1183 (11th Cir. 2018); see also Trusts Can’t Revive $101.8M Arbitration Claim At 11th Circuit, available at https://www.law360.com/articles/1085791.
- Obtained complete defense verdict for public healthcare system on claim under the Florida Whistleblower Act following seven-day jury trial.
- Defended banking institution accused of fraud and violating Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act in equity stripping case; obtained dismissal of all claims.
- Represented television studio defending tortious interference claims for $50 million in federal jury trial in which judge granted defendant’s Rule 50 motion following plaintiff’s presentation of its case.
- Obtained dismissal of majority of claims over $80 million of notes filed against financial institution brought by noteholder for breaches of duty and negligence.; See FBK Associates v. Suntrust Bank, 2014 WL 12514898 (S.D. Fla. Jan. 16, 2014) (dismissing majority of noteholder claims); FBK Associates v. Suntrust Bank, 2014 WL 12514899 (S.D. Fla. Nov. 18, 2014) (granting motion for partial judgment on the pleadings against noteholder); see also SunTrust Ducks Claims Over $80 M Notes Enforcement, available at https://www.law360.com/articles/502321/suntrust-ducks-claims-over-80m-notes-enforcement.
- Represented cruise line in connection with multi-million dollar claim under Oil Pollution Act of 1990 (OPA) against inland tank barge company for damages resulting from oil spill; resolved claim through settlement.
- Represented Lennar Corporation in federal and state court and established personal jurisdiction against foreign manufacturer producing and selling drywall for American homes. (“How They Won It: Greenberg Sticks It to Chinese Drywall Co.,” Law360, October 23, 2012).
NEWS & INSIGHTS
From corporate and securities disputes to unfair trade practices, our litigators understand the impact of a complex dispute on a company and take a business-minded approach tailored to achieve the best and most efficient result for our client.